Easter Egg & Earth Day Run
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILED ROUTE INFORMATION including satellite and street view photos of the course.
The Looney Lagoon 5 KM Easter Egg and Earth Day Race will take place Saturday, April 19 (the day before Easter and 3 days before Earth Day). The course runs along Lagoon Drive, giving spectacular views of Ke’ehi Lagoon with Honolulu and Diamond Head in the background. Easter eggs will be placed near the end of the course. Runners can pick one egg to open after they cross the finish line–inside will be organic candy or a possibly a ticket for a prize (ipod, Garmin GPS watch, and many more!)
- Race Director: Rob Lahoe: StaminaRace@outlook.com
- Runner Check-in: Starts around 5:30 AM. We expect a rush of people picking up packets and ankle timing tags, so please plan for that.
- Runners form up at start line: 6:20AM
- Start time: 6:30AM
- Start/Finish Location: Ke’ehi Lagoon Park, 465 Lagoon Dr, Honolulu, HI. (click to open Google Map)
- This race is 8 miles from Waikiki. For this race we’ll be renting a van and offering transport service to runners from the Waikiki zoo to/from the race.
- Packet pick up: Race morning only.
- Restrooms: Ke’ehi Park restrooms are located close to the start/finish
- Street Crossings: There are two street crossings. They will not be busy, but we’ve requested 1 sheriff at both.
- Turnaround: We will cone off 1 lane of Lagoon drive for a portion of the course (see route information pdf) and will have 1 sheriff at the turnaround area to make sure cars stay in the 1 remaining open lane.
- Children: We love children and have shortened the distance of this race to encourage more family participation. Please be aware that we do give out lots of candy and chocolate as prizes! We ask that children who will walk/run this event sign up, wear a bib number, and have their parents/legal guardians sign their waiver.
- We’ve had strollers at this race without any problems, but please check the course prior to race day if you have concerns. Babies in strollers are not official participants in the race and do not need a bib.
In order to decrease our carbon footprint and keep vehicles off the roads, packets and timing chips will be picked up race morning only. There will be two water/Clif Shot electrolyte drink stations; at the 1.25 and 3.75 kilometer mark. As with all Stamina events, the Looney Lagoon 5k will be cupless, and no littering will be allowed on the course.
Onno Bamboo t-shirts are à la carte. We didn’t think we’d be paying this much for t-shirts, but we went a little crazy after putting one of these on and seeing how great they feel. This is a very good deal for these amazing organic, moisture wicking, antimicrobial shirts. We’ll have a t-shirt exchange at the packet pickup tent after the race, so if your shirt is too small or too big we can either trade your shirt if we have extras, or match you up with someone who wants your size. Here’s the Amazon page for Women’s Mens
Eco-friendly awards for the top 3 men and women, the person who places dead-center of the pack, and to the person with the most Stamina who stays on the course the longest. Age group awards TBD.
We’ll have eco-friendly finisher’s medals and organic/natural foods/drinks at the finish line.
- Finishers Medals (Updated 2/10/14): We have teamed up with the Sahara Marathon’s “Project Saharawi Medals“ for 2014. All medals will be handmade from recycled materials and ceramic in the Saharawi refugee camps, allowing young saharawis to start a small job and provide income for their family. We should have a rendering of the medals in the very near future.
A few ways in which Stamina celebrates Earth Day:
All rubbish is sorted and recycled after the race. Any extra finisher’s medals are donated to Medals4Mettle. Race bibs will be made from recycled materials and are recyclable. Your race packet will be made from 100% recycled or organic materials. Since this is a cupless race, we will not be filling up landfills with hundreds of half-used cups. We have a strict no littering policy. Anyone found littering (not putting rubbish in bins, even when running on the course) will be disqualified. Stamina reuses their timing tags; we will not use disposable timing chips. Awards will be made from reclaimed wood or other eco-friendly materials. Leftover shirts are donated to charity or sent to Bolder Path where they are turned into other usable gear.
- Please bring your used running shoes for recycling!
- We’ve teamed up with Rerun Shoes, a social enterprise that will ship your footwear to Africa, where micro-entrepreneurs clean (but are not able to repair holes) and provide a continual supply of affordable footwear to communities in some of the poorest cities on the planet (e.g. Bamako, Mali, Monrovia, Liberia or Nador, Morocco). If the soles are worn through or there are holes (even those little holes that appear over the toes in the mesh of runners) in the uppers we cannot use them. Any shoes that we cannot send to Africa will be sent to Nike to be recycled and remade into track surfaces.
- These shoes must be very good cosmetically. They will show signs of wear, but from a cosmetic perspective the uppers will look fine for walking around. These shoes have 60% plus cosmetic life in them and can be called “thrift store” grade. Most of these shoes have over 350 miles on them so are not good for running, but that is okay for our purposes.
2013 pictures can be found here
Registration pricing structure:
Early entry: December 2013 – February 14: $20
Regular Entry: February 15 – March 31: $25
Late Entry: March 31 – April 17: $35