Why an eco-friendly race management company?
A while back I brought my daughter to a keiki (kids) run that was part of a very large race in Honolulu. When we finished, my daughter and I walked around to grab her finisher’s medal and get something to snack on. I was floored by what I saw. Hot dogs and chips and cookies and juices filled with high fructose corn syrup; and a fast food mascot next to a macaroni and cheese mascot. By the time we left, my daughter had probably eaten twice as many calories as she’d expended during the run. I couldn’t believe it. I’d brought my daughter to this run so I could teach her about living a healthier lifestyle. Needless to say, we didn’t return.
I decided I wanted to create something for my daughter that would promote a healthier lifestyle, and hoped to attract sponsors with the same values. I wanted to use local products without GMO’s or high fructose corn syrup.
The second reason came to me when I was running a local marathon. I was looking around and marveling at the amazing and beautiful place we call home. My eyes wandered to the ocean and to the mountains, and I was in awe. Then I slipped on some drink cups. I started looking down at this terrible mess of cups, gel pouches, and other rubbish that runners had discarded all along the route. I thought to myself “there has to be another way.” I think one of the main reasons I run is to experience the natural settings around me. We (endurance racers) should be the last people littering.
So I said “to heck with it” and started something I hope will catch on:
- All Stamina Races are Cupless
- In order to decrease our carbon footprint and keep vehicles off the roads, packets and timing chips are picked up race morning only.
- Our finish line foods contain nothing artificial and/or are organic.
- We serve Clif Shot organic electolyte drink at our aid stations (Nutritional Label)
- Our race bibs are made from 100% post-consumer recycled material, and are recyclable.
- We reuse our timing tags so they don’t end up in the landfill.
- Awards will be made from reclaimed wood or other eco-friendly materials.
- Our finishers medals are eco-friendly–recycled glass, reclaimed wood, thick seeded paper, etc.
- Any extra finisher’s medals are donated to Medals4Mettle.
- We use reclaimed wood (from old houses, barns, etc.) for Awards
- By far the most expensive option: out t-shirts are either 100% organic cotton, bamboo, or 100% recycled PET.
- All rubbish is sorted and recycled after the race.
- Your race packet will be made from 100% recycled or organic materials.
- Please bring your used running shoes to our races so they can be recycled!
- We’ve teamed up with Rerun Shoes, a social enterprise that will ship your footwear to Africa, where micro-entrepreneurs clean (but are not able to repair holes) and provide a continual supply of affordable footwear to communities in some of the poorest cities on the planet (e.g. Bamako, Mali, Monrovia, Liberia or Nador, Morocco).
- These shoes must be very good cosmetically. They will show signs of wear, but from a cosmetic perspective the uppers should look fine for walking around. Shoes should have 60% plus cosmetic life in them. This can be called “thrift store” grade. Most of these shoes have over 350 miles on them so are not good for running, but that is okay for our purposes.
- If the soles are worn through or there are holes (even those little holes that appear over the toes in the mesh of runners) in the uppers will be sent to Nike to be recycled and remade into track surfaces.
Stamina is a young company, and as things progress Stamina will continue to lead the way in eco-friendly racing. Don’t be surprised if you come to one of our races and see windmills and solar panels powering the start (We are currently working on a way to get solar panels up so that our races will be 100% solar powered).
Manager, Stamina Race Event Management Hawaii